One of the most difficult things about COVID-19 for LTC residents has been the prolonged separation from families and loved ones. With the virus still very much a threat in our communities, we must take careful steps in any plans to re-open our settings to visitors.
We recognize the critical role family members and other outside caregivers, such as friends, volunteers, and private personal caregivers often have in the care and support of our residents. Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services has provided guidance for a new designation of an Essential Caregiver in nursing homes and assisted living.
On this page you will find links to the guidance materials from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services as well as sample implementation plans and information.
- Official guidance from Nebraska DHHS: http://dhhs.ne.gov/Documents/COVID-19-Long-Term-Care-Essential-Caregiver-Guidance.pdf
- Essential Caregiver policy template: NE Essential Caregiver Policy
- Essential Caregiver sample letter for staff and residents: NE Essential Caregiver Sample letter
- Letter informing residents and families about delaying implementation of the Essential Caregiver program: NE Essential Caregiver-Delay resident letter
- Letter informing staff about delaying implementation of the Essential Caregiver program: NE Essential Caregiver-Delay-Staff Message
- Preprogram launch letter: NE Essential Caregiver-PreProgram Launch
- Facility checklist for Essential Caregiver program: NE Essential Caregiver-Checklist
- Letter to staff informing them of the Essential Caregiver program and details: NE Essential Caregiver-Implementation-Staff Message
- Sample acknowledgment forms for residents and designated essential caregivers: NE Essential Caregiver Visits-Risk Acknowledgment
If you have additional questions, contact Jenifer Acierno at firstname.lastname@example.org.